Monday, January 18, 2010

Mid-winter thoughts


The holidays are done, and a few days ago I saw a headline on the News Journal website that I hadn't seen in a long time. "Local Muslims Fear Backlash" I was a little busy with enjoying the company of my brother who came from out of town and just doing the normal holiday 'holy crap my brain can't take anymore work' relaxation thing - so I wasn't really paying attention to the national news until a while after the whole underwear bomber thing occurred. Was I surprised that someone tried to do something stupid? No - not really. I think it would make a really good Darwin Award actually.

What I was surprised to hear was the suggested methods for increasing our airport security soon after. I actually had to listen to a close family member argue in *favor* of racial profiling to prevent fundamentalist Islamic attacks. Of course this particular family member is a fundamentalist Christian. Not long after that, its body scanner talk all over the place. I'm planning on flying in about a month, and I will not stand in front of one of those stupid things. But I'm also blonde haired and blue eyed with very pale skin. My name is about as White Bread and Mayonaise as it gets. I probably won't be given any problems. All I know is that I think that the local Delaware Muslims who inspired that article are right to be scared. Because there are people out there who are arguing in favor of racial profiling.

When will other White Bread and Mayonaise people learn that its ok to have a little variety in your culture? Avoiding racial profiling is not being "politically correct" its an effort to find more accurate and efficient methods.

Carpet Miniature
gouache on paper
2"x3"

No comments:

Post a Comment